Sunday 14 August 2011

week four tasks

Reflection on work so far:

My design process began with the creation of the two creatures. The first was based off a flower, while the second was a snow monster. The flower began from the tower idea of the Space Needle, being a long pole section supporting a round top. The inspiration for the snow monster came from the firms other buildings, which are all cubic and linear, which made me think of icicles, from this idea I evolved a creature around that landscape idea. 

Designing the habitats for the creatures started out with me thinking where they would live. For the flower, this was easy. I would live in a flower pot, in a forest. The pot would be a multi story dwelling suspended in a tree. The main feature of it was that the flower creature could climb up to the roof, which is made of soil, and sit there in the sun.

For the snow creature, I designed it's environment around a cave. The cave is inside a large mountain, which in turn is in a large field of snow, with dangerous cliffs nearby. The whole landscape for this one was made around the stark, white patterns found on many of John Graham Jr's buildings. 

At this stage of the design process, I was thinking the flower monster would be the one I took through and designed the landscape for, because it was the more abstract of the two, but after thinking about the final outputs, I found the idea for the snow environment was looking better with both the tools and skills I had. The main factor in this was that I started developing both the environments with the Crysis sandbox, but realised I wouldn't be able to take this work and put it into buildAR. Redoing the work in 3dsMax, the mountain environment is much easier than a forest, and I now think it will also look better as a design than just a bunch of trees. The mountain will stand out more, where as anything in the forest would just blend in. 

In designing the inside environment for the mountain dwelling, the ideas I had from the forest building, taken from the Seattle Space Needle still carried through into this one. Particularly the idea of a layered structure. The interior is made up of shelves of ice protruding from the walls. 


Grid layout for poster design:
Draft work for poster design:

No comments:

Post a Comment